If you want to see samples of my comics work, head on over to CapsuleZone! If you want to see my graphic design portfolio, just go to Reno Maniquis Graphic Works! Thanks for dropping by!

Wednesday, July 20, 2005

JIM APARO PASSES AWAY...

...This was the headline that caught my eye on NEWSARAMA today. It's saddening because in my early days of comic collecting, Jim Aparo's work was the most familiar to me, and certainly one of the best in my eyes. Makes me miss those BRAVE & THE BOLD comics of my childhood (now lost). I remember one storu where he and Bob Haney co-starred with Batman, where Jim drew the story within the comic book at gunpoint, and what Aparo was drawing was what was really happening to Batman as he drew it. It was such an innovative way of storytelling. I also remember copying his Batman tales EXACTLY panel by panel, substituting Batman for one of my superhero creations at that time. Here's an excerpt of the article:

JIM APARO PASSES AWAY From Spencer Beck

The Aparo Family has asked me to send this information out to all parties. It is with the deepest regret I have to inform you of the passing of the legendary Jim Aparo early Tuesday Morning, July 19, 2005. Mr. Aparo, who was 72, died from complications relating to a recent illness. All Funeral arrangements will be a private ceremony for Family and Friends of Jim.

Link to the article directly here.

No doubt many of us older fans will miss him.

No comments: