If you want to see samples of my comics work, head on over to CapsuleZone! If you want to see my graphic design portfolio, just go to Reno Maniquis Graphic Works! Thanks for dropping by!

Thursday, September 07, 2006

Another EXODUS PROJECT feature!

This time, I'll be featuring designs I did for the Santelmo character SILAB, played by BJ Forbes.



This more or less what Silab looked like in the movie. The publisher thought that his costume here was too "modern," and did not fit a "sword & sorcery" setting. I could see his point. A yellow jumpsuit was really out of place in EXODUS' setting.



A study of Silab's head. As you can see from my notes, I wanted his eyes to be red, and his hair actual flames (a la Firestorm). I think the flaming hair was what they intended for the movie, but I guess they opted for red hair due to budget constraints.



This is study 1, more of a swashbuckler-type. I had intended a backstory for Silab that he is prince of the Santelmo race, since we first see him hiding inside the ruins of a castle. So the swashbuckler/princely attire suited this backstory.



Study 2 shows Silab as more of the street urchin/warrior type. Not too much story behind this design, just wanted to throw every possibility I could think of.



And lastly, study 3 is a shaolin-inspired outfit, since in the movie, there are two shaolin kids who appear out of nowhere to help Silab fight. I guess they're flame constructs that he whips out in times of need. This costume is more in tune with that idea.

I can't remember which one the publisher preferred, but for me personally I would have gone for study 1, since it ties in with his supposed backstory.

SILAB property of The Enchanted Kingdom, Inc.

That's all for this week. Check out the rest of the Thursday Webring...



Jonas Diego
Edgar Tadeo
Ariel Atienza
Jerald Dorado

1 comment:

Reno said...

He he. Thanks, Mr. Joemari. But after watching episodes of PROJECT RUNWAY, I don't think I can cut it as a fashion designer, although I've been accused of being a metrosexual every now and then (which I don't think is true, by the way). =)

Maybe you'd like to model for me? hahaha!